Are you meeting regularly with a discussion group? If you meet just once a week, you can find all of this week’s discussion questions in one place right here.
What have you seen “go viral” over the years? What do you remember gaining popularity rapidly before social media?
And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said:
- “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
- “Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied.
- “Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.
- “Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.
- “But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.
- “Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry.
- “Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.
- “Woe to you, when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets. (Luke 6:17-26 ESV)
What do you find attractive about these “Blessed are” statements? What do you find troubling?
Who is blessed in our world? How does it compare to Jesus’ list?
Take some time to tell Jesus, in prayer, that you want to follow or keep following him.