Marriage Course - September 1, 2012
Day 15 - Principles for Effective Listening
For some people, learning to listen is as difficult as learning a foreign language, but we must learn in order to build intimacy in our marriage and grow closer to our husband or wife.
1. Pay Attention and Do Not Interrupt. Allow your partner to finish what they are saying. Research indicates that the average individual only listens for 17 seconds before interrupting. Maintain eye contact and do not do something else at the same time.
2. Try to put yourself in your partner’s shoes. Put your own views to one side and really appreciate what it is like for your partner to be feeling the way that they do. Do not rush them and do not be afraid of silences.
3. Acknowledge their feelings. When you have listened to what your partner wants to say, reflect back what you heard without deflection or interpretation. It is important to try and accurately summarize the main facts, reflecting back any feelings they've expressed. This helps your partner to know if you have understood. Reflecting back may feel awkward, but it works!
4. Find out what is most important. Then ask your husband or wife: What is the most important part of what you have been saying?" Wait quietly while your partner thinks about what they want to say. When they have spoken, reflect back again what you have heard.
5. Help them work out what they might do. Now ask: ls there anything you would like (or, if appropriate: like me / like us) to do about what you have said?" Again give your partner time to think quietly. When they have finished, reflect back what your partner has said. enabling them to hear their own decision. The listener then asks, "Is there anything more that you would like to say?" If there is anything more, this should also be reflected back to the speaker.
Question:How do you feel about trying this out? Might it seem awkward? What are the risks, and potential benefits, of trying this new way of listening?
From Series: "Marriage"
More From "Marriage"
|About the Marriage Course||Ryan Sim||July 1, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 1 - Introduction||Marriage Course||August 17, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 2 - Introduction Part II||Marriage Course||August 18, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 3 - The First and Second Seasons of Marriage - Spring and Summer||Marriage Course||August 19, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 4 - The Third and Fourth Seasons of Marriage - Autumn and Winter||Marriage Course||August 20, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 5 - Building Strong Foundations||Marriage Course||August 21, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 6 - Make Time for Each Other - Planning Marriage Time||Marriage Course||August 22, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 7 - Make Marriage Time a Priority and Protect It||Marriage Course||August 23, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 8 - Nurture Each Other||Marriage Course||August 24, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 9 - The Art of Communication||Marriage Course||August 25, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 10 - Effective Communication||Marriage Course||August 26, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 11 - The importance of listening||Marriage Course||August 27, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 12 - Hindrances to Listening - Filters||Marriage Course||August 29, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 13 - Hindrances to Listening - Bad Habits||Marriage Course||August 30, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 14 - Practicing Effective Listening||Marriage Course||August 31, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 15 - Principles for Effective Listening||Marriage Course||September 1, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 16 - An Example of Effective Listening||Marriage Course||September 2, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 17 - Effective Listening Summary||Marriage Course||September 3, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 18 - Conflict Resolution||Marriage Course||September 4, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 19 - Express our Appreciation||Marriage Course||September 5, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 20 - Identify and Accept our Differences Part I||Marriage Course||September 6, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 21 - Identify and Accept our Differences Part II||Marriage Course||September 7, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 22 - Learn to Negotiate - Find the Best Time||Marriage Course||September 8, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 23 - Learn to Negotiate - Identify and Discuss the Issue||Marriage Course||September 9, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 24 - Learn to Negotiate - Final Steps||Marriage Course||September 10, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 25 - Putting Negotiation into Action and Grow Together||Marriage Course||September 11, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 26 - The Importance of Shared Faith||Marriage Course||September 12, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 27 - The Power of Forgiveness||Marriage Course||September 13, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 28 - Understanding Anger||Marriage Course||September 14, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 29 - Handling Anger||Marriage Course||September 15, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 30 - The Healing Process||Marriage Course||September 16, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 31 - The Healing Process - Identify The Hurt||Marriage Course||September 17, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 32 - The Healing Process - Say Sorry||Marriage Course||September 18, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 33 - The Healing Process - Forgive||Marriage Course||September 19, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 34 - What Forgiveness Is and Is Not||Marriage Course||September 20, 2012||Watch||Listen|
The aim of The Marriage Course is to help couples grow closer through:
- choosing commitment to each other and to their marriage
- spending time looking at relevant issues together
- increasing their understanding of each other
- developing good habits
Tell each other your strongest memory of the first time you met and what first attracted you to one other.