Parenting Children - September 9, 2012
Day 26 - Helping Children Make Good Choices Part II
4. Be one step ahead
• use distraction, distract your child from the issue causing conflict
• develop your own tarntlu rules to avoid regular arguments
5. Give choices
• being given choices is an important part of a child’s learning to take responsibility
• give choices over issues that are unimportant,
• Which of your toys do you want to take?" and “Do you want to play on the beach or go swimming?"
• giving choices helps to defuse conflict
6. Stay in control
• avoid being dragged into shouting matches our emotional reactions can give children a sense of power over us - like allowing them to press a "big red button" on our chests to see us react. getting angry, chasing them, getting upset
• find a way to give realistic warnings
• don't be manipulated by your child(ren)'s shouting, whining, or tantrums
How can you stay in control of yourself when faced with bad behaviour?
From Series: "Parenting Children Ages 0-10"
More From "Parenting Children Ages 0-10"
|About the Parenting Children Course||July 1, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 1 - Introduction||August 13, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 2 - Challenges||August 14, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 3 – Family Provides Support||August 15, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 4 – Family Provides Fun & A Moral Compass||August 16, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 5 – Experiencing & Observing Healthy Relationships||August 17, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 6 – Practicing Healthy Relationships (and Parenting Alone)||August 18, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 7 – Setting Goals and The Importance of Play||August 19, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 8 – Screentime||August 20, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 9 – The Importance of Bonding||August 21, 2012||Watch||Listen|