Parenting Children - September 14, 2012
Day 31 - The Power of Listening - Part II
Show an interest
• involves effort and generosity
• listen to what appeals to your child(ren)
Avoid shutting them down
• value their ideas
• allow them to express negative feelings such as disappointments, embarrassments, sadness, anxiety, and anger.
• repeat back to your child what you think he or she is saying
• reflect back to your child some of his or her words, but not in parrot fashion, as that can be annoying
• concentrate on reflecting back the feelings you think your child is trying to express, e.g. it sounds like you feel upset or frustrated or sad?
• reflective listening will help your child(ren) to frame their own feelings
Complete the attached worksheet.
From Series: "Parenting Children Ages 0-10"
More From "Parenting Children Ages 0-10"
|Day 40 - Encouraging Responsibility||Parenting Children||September 23, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 41 - Symptoms of Unhealthy Control||Parenting Children||September 24, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 42 - Good Choices - Sex||Parenting Children||September 25, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 43 - Good Choices - The Internet, Games, Drugs and Alcohol||Parenting Children||September 26, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 44 - Passing on Beliefs and Values - Answering Questions||Parenting Children||September 27, 2012||Listen|
|Day 45 - Passing on Beliefs and Values At Home, With Others and On Money||Parenting Children||September 28, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 46 - Praying for our children||Parenting Children||September 29, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 47 - Developing family traditions, routines, and rituals||Parenting Children||September 30, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 48 - Conclusion||Parenting Children||October 1, 2012||Watch||Listen|