Parenting Children - September 14, 2012
Day 31 - The Power of Listening - Part II
Show an interest
• involves effort and generosity
• listen to what appeals to your child(ren)
Avoid shutting them down
• value their ideas
• allow them to express negative feelings such as disappointments, embarrassments, sadness, anxiety, and anger.
• repeat back to your child what you think he or she is saying
• reflect back to your child some of his or her words, but not in parrot fashion, as that can be annoying
• concentrate on reflecting back the feelings you think your child is trying to express, e.g. it sounds like you feel upset or frustrated or sad?
• reflective listening will help your child(ren) to frame their own feelings
Complete the attached worksheet.
From Series: "Parenting Children Ages 0-10"
More From "Parenting Children Ages 0-10"
|About the Parenting Children Course||July 1, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 1 - Introduction||August 13, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 2 - Challenges||August 14, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 3 – Family Provides Support||August 15, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 4 – Family Provides Fun & A Moral Compass||August 16, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 5 – Experiencing & Observing Healthy Relationships||August 17, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 6 – Practicing Healthy Relationships (and Parenting Alone)||August 18, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 7 – Setting Goals and The Importance of Play||August 19, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 8 – Screentime||August 20, 2012||Watch||Listen|
|Day 9 – The Importance of Bonding||August 21, 2012||Watch||Listen|