Share a Link to this Message
The link has been copied to your clipboard; paste it anywhere you would like to share it.Close
Parenting Teens - September 2, 2012
Day 17 - Effective Communications
From Series: "Parenting Teenagers"
Powered by Series Engine
Parenting teenagers involves gradually letting out the boundaries and giving increased freedom and responsibility. We compare different parenting styles (neglectful, authoritarian, indulgent and authoritative) and show how a combination of warmth and firmness (authoritative parenting) is the most beneficial to a teenager’s healthy development.Adapting our approach
- Communication not always easy through the teenage years
- learning curve for most parents
- adults and teenagers tend to communicate in different ways
See attached worksheet for some differences!
- if we allow them to tell us what they find difficult about how we communicate with them, they are more likely to listen to us when we need to tell them what we find difficult about how they communicate with us
- understand that sometimes teenagers like to be contrary. (If we get heavy and intense they will probably react strongly just to give us a hard time)
- give them space. Respect their privacy.
- don’t try to control every aspect of their lives.
- don’t expect them to tell you everything
How easy or difficult is it for you to communicate with your teenager(s) currently?