Share a Link to this Message
The link has been copied to your clipboard; paste it anywhere you would like to share it.Close
Parenting Teens - September 5, 2012
Day 20 - Effective Communications Strategies Part II
From Series: "Parenting Teenagers"
Powered by Series Engine
We look at the role of Paying Attention to Their World, Listening for Feelings & Avoiding Interruptions in effective communications.4. Show an interest in the world of your teenageres)
- ask questions about their interests and listen to their answers
- treat them as unique individuals with their own points of view and personal tastes
5. Listen for feelings
- allow them to express negative emotions
- don’t rush in with solutions right away
6. Try to avoid interrupting
- the average person listens for only seventeen seconds
resist the desire to be defensive or to butt in and correct
What affirming words can you share with your teenager this week? What one-to-one time can you plan?