Show an interest
- involves effort and generosity
- listen to what appeals to your child(ren)
Avoid shutting them down
- value their ideas
- allow them to express negative feelings such as disappointments, embarrassments, sadness, anxiety, and anger.
- repeat back to your child what you think he or she is saying
- reflect back to your child some of his or her words, but not in parrot fashion, as that can be annoying
- concentrate on reflecting back the feelings you think your child is trying to express, e.g. it sounds like you feel upset or frustrated or sad?
- reflective listening will help your child(ren) to frame their own feelings
Complete the attached worksheet.
[todochecklist todoid=2157 title=”Mark as Complete:”] [oa_social_login]