1. Recognize it’s a long process
- typically it takes at least eighteen years!
- help them to realize that talking through an issue that has upset them is more productive than behaving badly
2, Try to find the root cause of the anger
- listen to your child
- HALT – are they Hungry, Anxious, Lonely or Tired?
- may not be easy to work out root cause – they may not know
- if we don’t find the root cause, they can become angrier or suppress their emotions, leading to rebellion later
- create environment of openness and honesty to encourage communication
Complete the attached worksheet.